Remediation of polluted soils. Waste management plan, former-Romagnina area in Milan.
The area subject to remediation is included in the U3 intervention unit of the Integrated Intervention Plan for the Garibaldi Repubblica area and falls within the urban development programme of the new Lombardy Region's Administration. This area was intended to be transformed into a public park; the surface to be excavated and sent to an external plant was approx. 1,001 m2. The interventions carried out are the following:
- Validation of soils from each cell to determine their EWC and a suitable disposal site;
- Filling ground excavation;
- Loading and removal of excavated materials, according to their contamination and validations;
- Tests of excavation walls and bottom;
- Backfilling with certified material.
These interventions were carried out in an urban area, where spaces available for operational and worksite needs were limited. Our company had to cope with the following limits:
- partial space and time availability of the working areas;
- car traffic in the areas just outside the worksite, where the operations had to be carried out;
- need to guarantee pedestrian and car passages for inhabitants and shop workers;
- recovery of the areas used.
All precautions needed were taken to minimise the production and the emission of pollutants, such as noise, powders, vibrations, etc., in compliance with environmental regulations and local regulations.
- Extra operations, which had not been foreseen, were needed:
- Tank draining and cleaning
- EWC 160708 sludge disposal, transport included
- EWC 160708 gas oil and washing effluent disposal
- LSC soils disposal, including transport and incineration EWC 160708*
- Plinth demolition
- Ferrous material recovery
- Assistance for war material removal
Construction site: area ex Romagnina (zona Repubblica Garibaldi)
Work Termination: 2012