Description of the job
- Mapping activity of the pollutants in the former Eternit plant in Bagnoli, prior to the remediation intervention
- Risk assessment
- Detailed planning of remediation operations
Given the large size of the area and the different pollutants present in the site, intervention procedure were defined in single areas in a 20x20 metre scheme, thanks to an innovative computer system (Map-info) for the classification of mapping data and procedures.
This made it possible to gather specific information about each small area being treated:
- waste quantity
- waste type
- dangerousness (release index)
- risk indication
- intervention procedures
- Self-sown vegetation in the polluted area required manual deforesting work and the installation of air monitoring devices to check and prevent pollution from spreading to the surrounding areas.
- Problems in creating safe conditions because of the state of degradation of the site.
Added value of the auditing activity
- The computer system allows a detailed real time monitoring of remediation activities and the respect of work plans and environmental parameters set.
- Amount of the audit fee: €. 154.937
- 150,000 m2 (monitored area in the site)
- N° of engineering managers: 1
- N° of computer engineers: 1
- N° of topographers to survey the area:
- 6 analysts to map and categorise waste
Significant pollutant quantities detected
- 550 tons of asbestos powders
- 6.000 tons of cement-asbestos objects and scrap
- 700 tons of asbestos-polluted soil
- 50 tons of various waste having different dangerousness levels