Description of the job
- Friable asbestos removal from ceilings and pipe coatings within tunnels, air conditioning ducts and shafts.
- Cement-asbestos roofing removal.
- Partial masonry demolition.
- In order to respect the timing set for the refurbishment of the whole complex, demolition and remediation works were carried out in only 6 months. This required a huge organisation and coordination work.
- On average, 30 specialised workers were employed simultaneously in 7 work sites.
- Identification of all the asbestos contained in the building complex was a critical point. In particular, a complete mapping was carried out to find the underfloor pipes which had not been identified yet. A total of 3,600 linear metres of pipes were found, divided into bundles of 6 pipes each. The main problems were their location and conditions, which required working with extreme care.
Innovative solutions adopted
- In a previously reclaimed area, where there were still traces of paint and asbestos fibres on the ceilings, the hydro-sandblasting method was used. This innovative solution in the asbestos-removal field, implemented in a completely confined space (static and dynamic confinement), made it possible to carry out the work in complete safety, within a limited time and at a reasonable cost. The traditional procedure would have involved much higher costs.
- Amount of the contract: €. 2.324.056 (for asbestos removal only)
- m3 630 of friable asbestos
m2 11.000 of cement-asbestos roofing
m 6.000 of asbestos-coated pipes
m 600 of asbestos-coated under-eaves ducts
- N° of work site managers: 3
N° of specialised workers: 30
- Waste disposed of:
Kg 190.000 of friable asbestos
Kg 210.000 of cement-asbestos